I had an unusual request. Last night a dear friend called asking if I would go visit her. It was late. I was tired making my way home to cook supper. But as I stopped to listen, I felt totally moved by her desire. She hadn’t gone out in 2 weeks as she had been taking care of her mother-in-law who had come down with a bad bout of the flu. She was craving company. I wasn’t sure I could go visit her as I was really tired and had a class to teach the next day and sadly told her that.
Later as I was making dinner, her plea tugged at my heart. I decided to go visit. Since my dinner so satisfied me, I prepared a takeout container to share with her and made my way out into the cold dark night.
The drive wasn’t bad despite the soft snow. Soon I reached her place where she was busy cooking an invalid meal of applesauce for the patient in bed. I was really glad I made up my mind to visit. Having gone through some times where I would have done anything for some warm company I could relate to her desire.
Hope my recipe will help warm you as well.
1 cup cubed Indian farmer’s cheese(paneer)
1 cup large chunks red onion
1 cup cubed green pepper
1 cup cubed tomatoes
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp chopped cilantro
½ tsp red chilli flakes
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp fresh garlic
Salt to taste
• Heat pan and smear with coconut oil. Spread the cubed farmer’s cheese and turn every few minutes so all sides are nicely browned. Remove and set aside.
• Heat oil in pan. Add cumin seeds, garlic & red onion chunks and sauté till onions get slightly charred.
• Quickly add the bell peppers and sauté till still crisp.
• Add the tomatoes and salt.
• Add the cubed browned farmer’s cheese and & give everything a nice stir.
• Sprinkle with red chili flakes and chopped cilantro.
• Serve with whole grain chapatti or bread.
This is a fragrant dish. The bell peppers with silky farmer’s cheese, plus the charred onions & tomatoes ensure that everyone will want some. My lunch had coworkers sniffing the air appreciatively :)
Have you ever dashed out when someone asked you to.. Do you like the feeling of being able to help.. Try it out.. guaranteed to make you feel warm..