I’ve been doing a cleanse every Monday following my Delhi habit. Every Monday in the UNESCO office in new Delhi, my coworkers and I would fast. To ostensibly pray for something we have been yearning for. And the side benefit, is the really really healthy feeling we had all day. No ravenous hunger, just steady metabolism. It was a good chance to work off all the weekend over eating. We broke fast at dinner time eating a light meal when we got home.
But Indian fasts are not what you think they are. They are a lot of fun. Nuts, and fruits all day and sipping warm herbal tea. My favourite part however was lunch time. We skipped all grains, but allowed ourselves a potato or even better sweet potato done up home fries style.
Fries can be really greasy so I tried a baked version of my favourite root- Sweet potato. And the results : Magnifique! as the French might say. Try it out, and see if you don’t believe me. Better still, why not join our Monday detox- delhi style. You can do it from wherever you are.. We created a facebook page so its easy to keep track of our Monday schedule. Feel free to join in.
|2 cups sweet potato, washed, scrubbed and cut fries size||Spice Mix
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coconut oil
Salt to taste
• Wash and scrub sweet potato thoroughly. Cut into fries size.
• Soak in water
• Meanwhile heat oven to 3250 F
• Rinse cast iron pan and let dry in heating oven
• Rinse out soaking sweet potato fries and dry thoroughly using clean kitchen towel
• Take dry cast iron pan from oven.
• Pour 1 tsp coconut oil into pan. Add spices and dry sweet potato fries
• Mix fries with spiced coconut oil so that fries are completely coated with the spice mix
• Return pan to oven
• In 10 minutes or less turn the fries over
• Again in 10 minutes or less remove fries
• Enjoy with coconut chutney or simply by themselves