Yes, I did a complete switch to plant based cosmetic products. It happened over the past maybe 9 months as I started hanging out a bit with vegans. Today’s post continues this week’s women’s day theme (honouring the feminine and taking care of our beautiful face) Here’s what I love for :
1. Mineral powder – Pure anada, a Canadian company based out of Calgary knows their minerals.. I’ve used their mineral powder before and it wasn’t a surprise that I returned to the same colour, cappuccino again to match my skin tone.
2. Mascara – 100% pure makes a vegetarian mascara. When I found out this mascara is made from black tea and berries, I fell in love with the very idea. It does contain beeswax though so its not completely vegan. My poor eyes have always been really sensitive to makeup. I’ve cried many tears in the past whenever I wore mascara, so much that I stopped wearing it altogether. This fruit based mascara is divine and has vitamin E so it coats & protects my eyelashes.
3. Lipstick – My favourite shade is a deep red. Think Hollywood glamour. When I found out that beetles are crushed to get that carmine red, I threw away my Dior lipstick and completely stopped wearing lipstick. I did miss it though. So when I discovered the ZUZU lipstick from Gabriel cosmetics makes vegan lipsticks, you can imagine how I died and went to heaven 🙂 Added bonus, if you are gluten-free, their lipsticks are gluten free too. The one I got was, you guessed right a deep, deep red called Femme Fatale 🙂
4. Lipgloss – The cutest vintage packaging. Pandora makes a great vegan lipgloss. I first saw it in PharmaPlus, a Canadian pharmacy. I just love its light glide. I love to wear a simple coat of lipgloss for most days, keeps lips moisturized!! This one is reasonably priced and the lipgloss stays on for hours and is not sticky like some other lip glosses which stick to everything including your winter scarf. They used to make me feel like I had wool strands on my lips all the time. Not so with Pandora. Its also vegan and paraben free. If I were you, I would stock up on this lipgloss.
5. Foundation – if you need to protect your skin from the sun, yes even in winter, then it’s a good idea to wear a foundation, even something light. A light protection is not just about covering your skin, but actually protecting it from damage from the elements, esp. the sun. I got the ZUZU oil free foundation again from Gabriel cosmetics, gluten free, mineral based from the Big carrot, a massive health food store in Toronto’s greek town. I can’t sing the praises of the helpful staff enough. Every time I go there, I feel as if I’m in a village store. The staff is attentive, helpful and very very knowledgeable. I don’t know the colour I bought, it’s a tan shade and the sales staff did a very good job of matching it with my skin tone.
Hope you found my review helpful. If you are considering a plant based makeup switch, let me know.. Happy to provide tips..or even hear your comments on your journey to plant based living!
Here’s a quote that sums up yoga’s principle of Ahimsa, or non-violence, the first restraint of yoga, which says to be gentle with all living beings, not just other humans. Plant based cosmetics are a nice first step don’t you think..
“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages” ~ Thomas Edison